The Blog of The Bride of Sesshomaru

Welcome


Welcome to my sewing, historical reenactment, and CosPlay blog! Here on this blog you will find all of my random thoughts about sewing, the SCA, manga, anime, CosPlay, costume making, embroidery, sewing historically accurate Japanese costumes, and my fandom of Lord Sesshomaru whom I CrossPlay as.

Lord Sesshomaru Banner

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Mokomoko: Some Thoughts on Making a Vertebrae for a Costume Tail


pawpawpawpawpaw


I had what is probably a weird thought about a wire in the tail, but a real tail would have a row of bones running down through it, I wonder if I could find a way to mimic that? I thought of this after looking at my cat and realizing that his tail has a skeleton in it.

Here is my original post about Sesshy's tail, this post is continuing from that one.

A real tail, actually is quite thin, just skin over bone, and the rest of it is all fur. I'm trying to go very realistic here, which is why I'm looking for such long fur, and as little stuffing as possible, because in order for his tail to be that fluffy, it's got to have some really long fur on it.

I'm thinking I should try some thick cable wire, (like for phone lines or electric fences or some other such wire of that type... a home phone cord maybe? that would mimic the vertebrae coils... not sure yet) and use a wrap and tie method of attaching stuffing directly to it (like the way a doll skeleton is made...I make cloth dolls when I'm not making costumes), and than wrap that in a fake fur, and than cover the whole thing with a real fur, that is sewn down to the fake fur.

Fake fur for the backing, yes! That'll work. I think I'm going to make it out of a fake fur, and than go over the whole thing with a "top layer" of alpaca wool. I just keep thinking about that alpaca wool I looked at at that farm, and that stuff is so perfect. The alpaca wool is about 6" to 9" long and I don't think I can find a fake like that.


If I do make an attempt at wefting raw wool, and sewing it to a backing, than I'll probably use something that looks like these:




Most likely I'll end up getting the wool from a local alpaca farm, cause I'd really like to see it in person before buying it. No idea how many pounds I should buy though. Does anyone have any thoughts on wefting your own wool? If I go this road, I think the Mokomoko will end up costing about $500 just for the cost of the wool though.

It's just an idea I'm throwing around at the moment, no idea if it'll work or look the way I think it'll look or not.





What's your take on this? I'd love to hear what you have to say about this post. Leave a comment and share your views!



pawpawpawpawpaw



-------------
If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best:





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape


Blingo




1 comment:

treasured_creatives said...

Interesting blog... the idea of making a costume tail is so complicated... I didn't know... Sahasi

More Places That Sell Wigs, Make-Up, Shoes, and Other CosPlay and Costuming Supplies

These guys have banners for me to display for you! YAY!
You know I love adding pictures to my blog! LOL!

Motorcycle Superstore, Inc.



Elf Cosmetics

NC Autumn06 11pc FSFR

Bare Necessities

usolympicshop.com

New and improved 468x60 creative

Willow Ridge (Arizona Mail Order)

Promgirl

Old Pueblo Traders

Free Shipping Coupon Boot Banner 468x60

Hawaiian Bath & Body

HearthSong

GreatSkin.com

Frederick's of Hollywood, Inc.

Forzieri.com / Firenze Seta srl

Brownstone Studio (Arizona Mail Order)

Elf Cosmetics

JewelryWeb.com Inc

justmysize.com

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
~~~~~~~~~~
Smallflower.com

MCSS_Logo_336x280

Bedford Fair Lifestyles

Amazon Quick Linker