The Blog of The Bride of Sesshomaru

Welcome


Welcome to my sewing, historical reenactment, and CosPlay blog! Here on this blog you will find all of my random thoughts about sewing, the SCA, manga, anime, CosPlay, costume making, embroidery, sewing historically accurate Japanese costumes, and my fandom of Lord Sesshomaru whom I CrossPlay as.

Lord Sesshomaru Banner

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Progress Update: Mokomoko Started; Pink Kosode, Still Being Embroidered.


pawpawpawpawpaw


Well, I went ahead and built a inner skeleton structure for the Mokomoko just too see what it would look like and to see if it was possible to use inside a costume tail, and has decided go ahead and use it. I also came to the conclusion that an 8 foot Mokomoko is not big enough, and am now making it 12 feet long instead.

Here's how I did it in case any one else wants to try it:

I took a 12 foot phone/internet cable, and ran it through 8 feet of galvanized electrical conduit cable (which is quite heavy and made of metal, but is very springy and moves like a real tail.). I taped the cable in place to the conduit so that the ends meet at the base, but the cable is 4 feet longer at the end.

My next step was to wrap the entire thing in polyester quilt batting: first a 1/4" x 8" x 12' stripe tied down with DMC crochet cotton. I tied it into a knobby look, by tying at 3" intervals.

Next I put in on, in order to measure where the shoulder line would be, than marked off a 3 foot section, and wrapped that with a another layer of quilt batting: 1/4" x 2' x 3', stiffing it with teddy bear stuffing, which is a supper soft, very squishy type of polyester stuffing. Again tying at 3" intervals.

Overlapping that section by 4" I added another layer of quilt batting, and stuffed it with only half as much stuffing as before. Again tying at 3" intervals.

From that point down I wrapped again, this time with no stuffing added.

The end result it a 12' long conical taper shape, with the first 2 1/2' left wrapped only once, so as to be able to wrap the tail, and some how attach it which I have not yet figured out how to do.


Well, that's where I am at right now. It took me just under 2 hours from start to finish.

My next step with the Mokomoko is to buy some eyelash fringe fabric, to make a cloth cover for it. That will be the base to which I will hand sew (latch hook-stitch) real fur to, to create a real fur tail. I have yet to decide on the type of fur I'll use, but at this point I'm leaning towards Beige Alpaca Fleece.




The Mokomoko aside, I still have quite a ways to go on the Court Robes. The cloth was cut out and the pieces pinned together, so that I could hand draw (in pink tailor's chalk) the giant lotus blossoms, and butterflies (in blue chalk). The butterflies are being done tone on tone, the same color as the silk, so can only be seen up close. I ran out of floss today, so had to go the Micheal's to buy more.

Right now I am working on the collar of the kosode, which has butterflies along the edge, and the partial piece of one of the pink flowers at the shoulder. Starting at the lower left side and working up to the top and down to the right, I am right now, 3/4 to the top of the left side. Each butterfly is approx. 2" x 4" and takes 3 hours to fill in using the satin stitch and the long & short stitch. I have been sewing approximately 1 1/2 butterflies per day (that's me hand sewing 4 1/2 hours per day!), so I'm guessing that my original estimate that it'll take me 3 to 4 months to embroider the entire kimono, was pretty darned close! I just started my 7th butterfly today.



What's your take on this? I'd love to hear what you have to say about this post. Leave a comment and share your views!



pawpawpawpawpaw



-------------
If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best:





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape


Blingo




Post a Comment

More Places That Sell Wigs, Make-Up, Shoes, and Other CosPlay and Costuming Supplies

These guys have banners for me to display for you! YAY!
You know I love adding pictures to my blog! LOL!

Motorcycle Superstore, Inc.



Elf Cosmetics

NC Autumn06 11pc FSFR

Bare Necessities

usolympicshop.com

New and improved 468x60 creative

Willow Ridge (Arizona Mail Order)

Promgirl

Old Pueblo Traders

Free Shipping Coupon Boot Banner 468x60

Hawaiian Bath & Body

HearthSong

GreatSkin.com

Frederick's of Hollywood, Inc.

Forzieri.com / Firenze Seta srl

Brownstone Studio (Arizona Mail Order)

Elf Cosmetics

JewelryWeb.com Inc

justmysize.com

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
~~~~~~~~~~
Smallflower.com

MCSS_Logo_336x280

Bedford Fair Lifestyles

Amazon Quick Linker