The Blog of The Bride of Sesshomaru

Welcome


Welcome to my sewing, historical reenactment, and CosPlay blog! Here on this blog you will find all of my random thoughts about sewing, the SCA, manga, anime, CosPlay, costume making, embroidery, sewing historically accurate Japanese costumes, and my fandom of Lord Sesshomaru whom I CrossPlay as.

Lord Sesshomaru Banner

Saturday, March 6, 2010

some thoughts on blog post stealing


Michael Snow wrote:
I found one of my articles on some website that specializes in spinning other people's work for profit. under the article they had a place to comment. I posted a comment using my real name, and it was something to the effect of: "I'm glad you enjoyed my work, but if you're going to copy it, a link is needed. changing some of the words in another's intellectual property does not change its status as a copyright violation, and while it's embarrassing to be in any way linked to this poorly reworded piece of infringement, credit is due." I made sure to use big legal words and post a link to the original article. the next morning the stolen article had been removed.
I had this happen to one of my blogs a while back. It was a sewing how-to blog and each post was showing drawings and photos of a pattern I had designed and made myself, and was telling people how to make the costume. It became really popular just before ComicCon and suddenly I had #1 spot on Google search results for that character.
Next thing I knew, automated blogs were popping up, that were pulling my posts off my blog and reposting them as their own! There was no contact info on any of them. The blogs were all run by WordPress so I contacted word press, with links to my original blog and the copied blogs.
I left comments on every post - similar to the one you mentioned, each linking back to my original posts.
But the blog wasn't only stealing my articles - it was scooping up costume making how tos off tons of other sewing blogs too!
Than I did a Google search on the blog post titles for the other posts on the blog and tracked down the owners of nearly all of the other sewing blogs they were copying from, and contacted each of the original writers telling them about how we had been copied. Most of them likewise contacted WordPress with complaints. (There were about 3 dozen blogs that they were stealing posts off of).
I guess our complaints to WordPress worked, because those copy blogs no longer exist today, thank goodness.
I learned one thing about it: while getting #1 slot on Google does wonders to drive traffic to your article, it also results in your article being copied by every one under the sun! aRGH! It almost makes me hope I never get another article on Google's #1 slot again. It was just so frustrating having to deal with. I don't know why people think they can get away with stealing some one else's hard work. 
pawpawpawpawpaw




What's your take on this? I'd love to hear what you have to say about this post. Leave a comment and share your views!


Obsessed? I'm Not Obsessed... REALLY, I'm not!


When Next You See Me I'll Look Like This:






pawpawpawpawpaw



-------------
If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best:





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape


Blingo
Post a Comment

More Places That Sell Wigs, Make-Up, Shoes, and Other CosPlay and Costuming Supplies

These guys have banners for me to display for you! YAY!
You know I love adding pictures to my blog! LOL!

Motorcycle Superstore, Inc.



Elf Cosmetics

NC Autumn06 11pc FSFR

Bare Necessities

usolympicshop.com

New and improved 468x60 creative

Willow Ridge (Arizona Mail Order)

Promgirl

Old Pueblo Traders

Free Shipping Coupon Boot Banner 468x60

Hawaiian Bath & Body

HearthSong

GreatSkin.com

Frederick's of Hollywood, Inc.

Forzieri.com / Firenze Seta srl

Brownstone Studio (Arizona Mail Order)

Elf Cosmetics

JewelryWeb.com Inc

justmysize.com

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
~~~~~~~~~~
Smallflower.com

MCSS_Logo_336x280

Bedford Fair Lifestyles

Amazon Quick Linker